Afterschool, summer learning, out-of-school time, and “third space” programs re-imagine how, where and when our young people learn. Youth spend only 20% of their waking hours in school. How they invest the other 80% of their time in the third space–when they are not at home or at school–is a game changer. Studies show affluent youth experience 6,000 more hours of enrichment and learning compared to their low-income peers by the 8th grade. High quality afterschool learning hours can turn this inequity around.
Decades of research show that afterschool programs help kids learn, grow, and avoid risky behaviors. Programs spark interest in learning so students attend school more often, get better grades, and improve their behavior in class. Through new learning experiences, young people discover what they love to do and gain the skills they need to land that first job.
Keeping Kids Safe: Across Vermont, 1 in 4 kids are alone and unsupervised from 3 to 6 p.m. These are the hours when juvenile crime and victimization peak. In addition to keeping kids away from drugs and other risky behaviors after school, afterschool programs can build protective factors that prevent substance use disorders from occurring–such as connectedness, self-control, self-confidence, adult mentors, and quality peer relationships.
Inspires Learning: Studies demonstrate that more consistent time spent in afterschool activities during the elementary years is linked to narrowing the academic achievement gap. In a longitudinal study, income differences in math achievement were eliminated for students who had consistent afterschool activities across their K-5 years. Studies also show that those in out-of-school time programs have better grades, attendance, behaviors, and college/career attainment.
Support For Working Families: Parents benefit from peace of mind when their children are engaged in quality programs. Here in Vermont, 77% of children and youth ages 6-17 have all available parents in the workforce. For most families, there is a gap of 15-25 hours per week when parents are still at work and children and youth are out of school and need supervision. This need for programs is even greater during school vacation weeks and over the summer.
Third Space programs take place in all types of venues. Programs can occur before school, after school, on holidays, weekends and during the summer–anytime when youth aren’t at home (first space) or school (second space). It is in this third space when learning and enrichment activities from academic pursuits to physical and social development can happen.
Research and Fact Sheets on the Value of Afterschool
- This is Afterschool in VT
- Afterschool STEM in VT
High QualityAfterschool Programs Accelerate Student Achievement
- Expanded Learning and After School Programs Help Families Succeed
- College and Career Readiness Fact Sheet
- Afterschool Outcomes Fact Sheet
- 6,000 Hour Learning Gap Infographic
- Afterschool Supports Student Success